SLATE ROOF PRESS POETRY CONTESTS
Winners of the Slate Roof Press Poetry Chapbook Contest/Elyse Wolf Prize are awarded publication and $500. We produce beautiful books with letterpress covers by an award-winning bookmaker, using high-quality papers. Elyse Wolf Prize winners become active members of the press, making a three-year commitment, gaining valuable experience in publishing, and participating in the tasks of running the press. Based in Greenfield, Mass, Slate Roof is a member-run, not-for-profit collaborative, which has published art-quality chapbooks since 2004.
Winners of the Slate Roof Press Glass Prize for an original broadside will each receive $250. Each poem will be printed in a beautiful limited letterpress edition of 100 numbered and signed copies.
As a collaborative, we are dedicated to publishing the best work and involving poets in the publishing process. Chapbook contest/Elyse Wolf prize winners agree to a three-year work commitment, averaging 8-10 hours/month, including a monthly business meeting in Greenfield, Mass. The winners work with members toward publication and marketing of his/her work, as well as the work of others in the collective. Members receive feedback on drafts and final manuscript, as well as suggestions regarding editing.
Fourteen Years of Poetry
Slate Roof members are involved in all aspects of publishing. Typical member tasks include reviewing manuscripts, managing consignment accounts, assembling books, editing and design, accounting, promotion, and readings, which are essential to book sales. The chapbooks are designed by the poets and our printer; we pay careful attention to typography, paper choice, binding, and cover art. Our current print run is 350 copies; of that, 25 copies are given to the author, and 50 are retained by Slate Roof for promotional purposes. Poets retain copyright. All profits return to the press.
Introducing the Slate Roof Press Glass Prize for an original broadside!
Slate Roof Press is delighted to announce its first poetry broadside contest. Two poems will be selected, one drawn from local contestants living in either Franklin or Hampshire county in Massachusetts; and the other drawn from contestants across the United States. Each contest winner will each receive the Glass Prize of $250, and each poem will be printed in a beautiful limited letterpress edition of 100 numbered and signed copies. We will sponsor a reading for the local winner, and also record readings of both winners to be posted on Facebook and other venues.
Winners receive 10 author copies of their broadside; copyright reverts to the author after 1 year.
1. All entrants must state the city and state where they currently live. Any submission not including city and state will be disqualified and the money not refunded. No international submissions will be considered.
2. Your submission must include the following :
- A maximum of 3 poems, each no more than 30 lines long. Upload all 3 poems as one document. Poems should be written using 12 pt.Times (or equivalent), 8.5 x 11 paper, 1” margins. No identifying information on any pages. Pdf format strongly preferred; .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf acceptable. Title your file with the name of the first poem.
- A separate cover letter including the title of your submission, your name and address, telephone number, email address, and a short bio. Paste the cover sheet into the “cover letter” text box.
- All poems must be unpublished, including self-publication.
3. Submit $10 reading fee, payable via credit card. All entries will be considered complete once payment is received. The winning poems will be chosen by the press via a blind review. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but please notify us immediately if any of your poems are accepted elsewhere. For additional information on Slate Roof Press, visit: www.slateroofpress.com, or email us at email@example.com.
Deadline for submission: June 15, 2019